Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Jack attack

Garron had a play-date not too long ago, leaving Mathias and I alone for the evening (Randy was there part of the time - but had to leave for class).  As a consolation for being left out of play time with friends, Mathias decided he wanted to carve his pumpkin.  

Meet Jack, the 10/08 edition.
Mathias loved the idea of a scary jack-o-lantern, and was delighted to be able to draw the design...and to watch the subsequent attempts of carving that design that followed.  I always think it's great fun.  I love watching the boys come up with a idea of how their pumpkin should be carved...and then trying to follow that design as precisely as possible.  

Randy hates watching me carve.  He's adamant that I will hurt myself.  So, next year he's decided that he's using one of his saws....and I guess I will have to take a turn being the scared one.  :)

His own scary face was was his inspiration.  I think he might have even checked it in the mirror before putting pen to pumpkin.  Pretty good imitation...

9 comments:

The Five that Jive said...

Wow! Spooky pumpkin!! I love the big nose...great job! Mathias and Garron look so cool on their first day of school, way to go Lindsay! Do you have one of those red pumpkin carving knives? That's what we always use...are you using something really sharp and scary??
Love ya!
Lindsey J

RightHahn said...

Lindsey...

I just use a regular old kitchen knife. It wouldn't matter what I used though - Randy would still be scared. I could use fingernail clippers, and he would be afraid that I could potentially hurt myself or others:)

You should see him when I have to slice a watermelon! I'm not sure - but I think it might be scarring him somehow...

Brett and Sarah said...

LOL that just shows how much Randy loves you!!! I love that! And geez...i've NEVER carved a pumpkin..what is going on with my life lol!!! Mathias is just so cute!!! love the pumpkin!

The Barbers said...

We don't always carve pumpkins but I'm thinking we will this monday for family night. I had done it a couple of times when the girls were little and Mardi thought cleaning it out first was kind of gross. But they were complining recently that we haven't done it in a while and wanted to. Girls!

Kathy said...

ha! i love that pumpkin! his imitation of the pumpkin face is great too - very cute :)

Amy said...

Thank you for that clarification on my blog.
Your kids are so cute - I love the pumpkins and I'm sorry that you give your hubby a heart attack everytime you cut:)

RightHahn said...

Amy...I hope my comment didn't come across the wrong way. It's so hard to communicate the feelings behind an idea in print. At least for me anyway. Your post was great!

And speaking of cute kids - yours are adorable. I hope Kiera is feeling tons better after her ordeal! So...something funny about her thumb - Our oldest has a weird pinky issue. It's called camptodactly. I wonder if the two issues are related?

Thanks again for YOUR post - and your nice comment here.

Lindsay

The Whittle Clan said...

Wow, what a spooky pumpkin! Thanks for posting so much lately. I love to see and hear what you have been up to. Miss you guys tons.

RightHahn said...

Aahh... thanks, Kelli!! We miss you guys too...