Thursday, October 23, 2008

Blue Angels

Two weekends ago we went into San Francisco to see the Blue Angels air show.  If you haven't ever gone to see one, you should totally try!  It's amazing.  The speed and maneuverability of these planes is phenomenal.


I'm still trying to absorb the amount of training and precision that goes into being able to fly in these tight formations...

And they get special clearance from the city to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge.  Crazy, right?!  A ton of people bring their boats into the bay, just so they can experience some of the planes flying about 20-50 feet above them. 

Of course, all I think about when the smoke shows are going on is ...  "Surrender Dorothy" !!  This was actually the beginnings of a red and blue heart.  A third plane came and put a white arrow through it.

I got the biggest kick out of this crowd.  I'm an avid people watcher - and it just fills me to the brim with happiness to watch all the goings on of the people and groups around me.  My favorite group that day was this gathering of semi drunk ladies behind us.  They were trying to flirt with the pilots (while they were flying mind you - cause they can totally see us!!).  It was so funny... 

Mathias couldn't decide what he liked better - the huge, super fast planes - or the thousands of treasures in the sand that he could make sculptures with.  Some of his creations that day included a stick and feather castle...and sand pies.

The Marines had some fun things set up for people to check out.  This combat vehicle was a huge favorite...as was the pull up bar.  I don't know if anyone has tried to do full pull-ups lately.  They're ridiculously hard.  Garron can do 7...I can do 1/2...blah!!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I have always wanted to watch one of these air shows, but have never had the opportunity to. I'm sure Curtis would get a kick out of it too. They amaze me also how close they get to one another. What a neat show to be able to watch!

Amy said...

That sounds like so much fun! I can't do pull ups either:(

Kathy said...

ok - that sounds wicked fun. i have been to an air show before - but i was like 8. that would have been SO cool to see the plane go under the bridge! wow - great pictures.
and no - there will be no pull-ups here. i promise you i couldn't even do one.

The Whittle Clan said...

That would have been awesome to see. Great pictures.