Sunday, April 12, 2009

What's a diet?

I was driving the boys home from school one day last week, and Mathias decided to have a "deep thoughts" moment with me.  Out of the blue, he asked, "Mom, what's a diet?"  Not knowing where he was headed - or where he had even heard the word 'diet' from, I tried to answer his question in as direct a manner as possible.  "Well, sometimes when people notice that their bodies have too much fat on them, they decide to eat less food than they normally do so that their bodies will use up the fat for energy."  "Oh..." he says.  "I'm kind of on a diet."  "Really???  How do you figure?"  "I'm on a diet from my arm..."  And then I smiled on the inside.

Most of you have probably seen your babies at some point do this:

Or this...

But...for most of Mathias' life, we have seen him like this:

And even this:

Whenever he's tired or when he wants to comfort himself, he rubs his arm on his top lip ... or rubs his ear.   He'll even ask YOU sometimes if he can "smell" your arm:)  

Not wanting our baby to grow up too quickly, I promptly told him that there really was no need for him to cut out his habit cold-turkey.  He came back with, "No.  I don't want my wife to see me this way."  And then I cried...

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

That is so cute. Tell him that Amy still smells her "dee dee" (blanket). :)

Nancy said...

This is so so sweet.

My brother (who turns 40 next month) still feels wrinkles on sheets, pants, shirts, etc. as his comfort. My husband feels smooth paper, and the underside of my arm. My 6 year old daughter sleeps with her blankey wrapped around her neck like a boa constricter. Etc. Etc. I love all these cute things. :)

RightHahn said...

Kim...
Amy is so cute with her blanket:)

Nancy...
I like all your comfort stories! Wrinkles and smooth paper....that definitely makes me feel like Mathias is in good company. It's so interesting to hear how people comfort themselves...:) AND if they still do it or not!

Danny Mortensen said...

awww MATHIAS! He is just a baby!!!!!

The Barbers said...

Actually, if the wife might like it if he moves from the arm to say, the neck or cheek! ;}

Anonymous said...

Heart touching story, I would have cried also.
Just wait till your baby tells you he want to be a bartender when he
turns 29....then you can cry!
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.
When they are little they step on your toes.......

The Whittle Clan said...

Mathias is so cute. I forgot about the arm thing. He is just too cute. Audree still sucks on her fingers when she has her pooh bear blanket at night. It drives Jared crazy just thinking of the ortho investment in the future.

Brett and Sarah said...

ok why is it that it says danny mortensen? when is was me....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Kathy said...

ha ha ha on "i don't want my wife to see me this way." so hilarious!
it is hard when they let go of little things and start growing up. :(