Friday, May 30, 2008

Kidney stone prevention 101

Meet my new best friends.  You might think that these are just a tasty addition to the 50 gazillion ounces of water that I drink a day - but you'd be sorely mistaken.  Though I do love a little pizzaz in my water...these packets have become my new obsession for an entirely different reason: kidney stone prevention.  All of my siblings (except Jamin I think) and both my parents have had kidney stones.  Call me crazy - but this is one family tradition that I'd like to avoid:)  So, when my sister had her attack this year - her urologist recommended that she increase her intake of citric acid.  It's supposed to help prevent the bonding action between the compounds that make up kidney stones.  Since then, I've been on a lemon and lime kick.  Fresh lemons and limes are still the best, but these packets are super convenient.



They also taste much better than the concentrated lemon juice that I tried.  They actually taste like you just added a lemon or lime wedge to your drink.

Which brings me to a whole other issue with lemon and lime wedges.  If you haven't heard:  restaurant wedges are covert, food poisoning booby-traps.  I loaded the above video from Youtube about it if you want to hear more details.  Or just save yourselves the headache and start "packing" before heading out the door.  They taste great - and just might save you from a visit to the ER!

9 comments:

k.m. said...

Strange that I should read this right now. Brett had a pretty big stone pass right before I was due and thought he was making fun of my labor. Sadly no. He wound up in the hospital where of course there is little you can do other then laser it to make it easier to pass and medicate the pain. He is passing another one this weekend. The ER doc said he got them because he drank too much carbonation. It hasn't stopped his 5 can a day habit though. Men!

The Five that Jive said...

Wow. I didn't know that putting a little lemon in your water could help prevent kidney stones. That's pretty cool! I'll have to try this new product out...I bet mom would love it too:) Thanks for sharing a good tip.
Lindsey J

Kathy said...

Hmmm - very interesting. i have never heard that before - good to know though :)

RightHahn said...

Kristi...

That stinks that Brett is dealing with kidney stones as we speak!!! I hope he recovers soon. Maybe sprite has enough citric acid to balance out the carbonation??;)

I'm seriously terrified of having one. I think I would be tempted to go an a 'grass only' diet if I knew that it would save me from dealing with forming/passing a stone. I'm just not a fan of knife jabbing pain, passing out and not being able to get any help for it (as you mentioned).

I don't know if I'm more scared of kidney stones or eating out now though. The whole 'cutting other food with raw meat knives' is about enough to do me in!!

Anonymous said...

CORRECTION:
Though I have birthed 7 childrens,,,I have yet to
pass any kidney stones.
Lucky Me!!!!
Love ya Linds,
Mom

RightHahn said...

Mom...

Sorry;) What did you have to go to the ER for in Vegas - I forget...

Anonymous said...

Gallbadder...
I found the True Lemom, Lime & Orange in the baking section of the grocery store....Love them

Anonymous said...

This is my first post I'd love to thank you for such a terrific made forum!
Was thinking this is a nice way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/fiesta-party-supplies.html]fiesta Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]free casino bonus[/url] brake the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]online casinos[/url] free no consign hand-out at the foremost [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]baywatchcasino
[/url].