Sunday, May 31, 2009

See Jane Run Half Marathon

Well - for the most part my race was a total bust!:)  I started out on target for my goal of 2:30, but around 4-5 miles in my stomach started hurting.  

I have a history of getting pretty severe stomach pains after eating in the early morning hours, so I knew it was a possibility.  However, there really is no way that you can run 13.1 miles w/o eating SOMETHING....so, what can a girl do?  I ate a big dinner the night before (which I'm thinking I'll switch to lunch time my next go around), drank a ton of water the day before, and then a Balance nutrition bar the morning of.  It seemed like I had done everything I could to avoid getting my typical "you-ate-too-early-this-morning" message from my stomach...but alas, I was wrong:)  Compounding the problem was the fact that the restroom I chose to stop at ended up having about a 10 minute wait - stupid race planning committee!!  My pit stop didn't even end up helping the problem (sigh), and I was left feeling like the only thing that was going to help my stomach feel better was to walk.  NOT AN OPTION!  But I did have to run much slower than I wanted, and my knees kept reminding me that I was using them the wrong way b/c of the adjustment to my stride.  

So - here I am (on the left), crawling to the finish line

Oh yeah - my long sleeve shirt wouldn't stay tied around my waist, so I had to carry it the whole time.  How many annoyances can you encounter in one race??

I'm resigned to thinking that the only good thing about the marathon was that my husband and boys were there waiting for me at the end.  It seriously filled up my little heart tank to see them all there smiling at me and cheering me on.  I snatched Mathias' hand and had him finish with me:)  You can see my 2:51 finish on the timer....blah!  

So, hopefully with continued training I can find some way to tweak my tummy problem - AND keep getting faster.  

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to start trying different things for breakfast items and get
your stomache accomustom to eating in the mornings.....simple complex
carbs, protiens fuits...before you run your next 1/2.....you are just have to experiment with different combinations to see what will work for you... Love ya, Mom

RightHahn said...

mom - i can't trust anything you tell me. you used to make me eat breakfast...and then i would throw up on the bus. i think you might be a "race" benedict in disguise

ha ha;)

actually - i think next time i'll just eat a banana - and then the goo packets they hand out. we'll see...

Kimberly said...

Way to go Lindsay! You are awesome! I can't eat b4 running either! I would just do what you have always been doing while you have been training...if you haven't been eating b4 and you've been fine, then do exactly the same thing b4 a race. I want to run a 10k, so I am getting ready for that, but you have already beat me by running 13 miles! Wow, that is so great! I can't believe all that happened during your run!

The Five that Jive said...

You're amazing Lindsay! Thanks for being my inspiration. Sorry that you got sick, that sounds horrible. Hopefully by the time you run it again, you'll have it figured out:) Way to go!!

Kathy said...

AWESOME job! seriously - that is so great lindsay!!!!!!! very inspiring. i never run anymore - i'm such a butt. one day i would love to run a 1/2 marathon. i don't think i'll ever do a full one - but a halfsies would be fun! anyway - well done - be proud!

Anonymous said...

Well, as much as I love you...U
may be right! In my defence(sp),
I never knew breakfast mad you
throw up....sorry for being such
a bad mom!!

RightHahn said...

ha ha ha - mom, you're too funny. i don't think you're a bad mom...just a mean one:) like me - he he he! garron has a similar problem with his stomach, and i still make him eat breakfast. you'd think i'd be a little more understanding, but i hate the idea of him going to school w/o eating...go figure...

Moving Hahn Up said...

Great job Lindsay!!! I know the time, dedication, and lots of miles that has gone into this accomplishment! Despite all the fun with stomach problems and wardrobe malfunctions, you stuck it out and finished...awesome!
Have you tried getting my brother to run with you?
Ronny

RightHahn said...

Hey Ronny!!! Thanks for the support - you're the true running champion in this family though....majorly!!!!

I do get Randy to go with me sometimes, which is nice. He makes me go faster. He also loaded some Marine Corp and Navy cadences on my ipod, which for some reason really push me forward - you've got to try them out. You can't help but smile and think of Papa when you hear them:) And they really help pace you...

megan said...

Well if it's any consolation you are a total hottie!

RightHahn said...

Megan - you're tooooo nice;) Love you! I can't wait to hear how your triathlon goes...AND the training along the way!